Thursday, April 28, 2011

An Idea is Born...

I have a problem. I want to have Bible study with my girlfriends, yet LIFE always gets in the way. Even though I am a stay-at-home-mom, and all my children are now in school, I still have plenty to do. There is an endless "to-do" list, errands to run, chores to complete, field trips and special events to attend. Oh, and there's a husband who demands attention. Can't forget about him! Even if I could get MY life in order, it's nearly impossible to align my schedule with everyone else's schedules. Some friends work. Some can't find a babysitter. Some have ever-changing schedules. There is always something to prevent us from studying together, from learning what God's Word has to say to us, from praying for each other, from fellowshipping with other sisters in Christ.

So, what's the solution to the problem? I wasn't sure. A friend suggested I start a Bible study, but since time seems to be a major problem, how do we work around that? The lightbulb came on! When I was in college, I had written an online Bible study! Wouldn't that be a solution to our time deficiency? Anyone joining the Bible study could read passages at their leisure, when they have time and answer discussion questions via an email form (like the one below). Whether you are studying in the middle of the night or first thing in the morning or only on Tuesdays, it won't matter!

So, here's my idea! I blog (I LOVE to blog!) about a topic and post questions. You read the passage and submit your answers. We can chat, via email (or FB, etc.) about your answers. Then I follow-up with another blog, containing my answers to the questions as well as sharing awesome points made by the awesome women who submitted their email form! Bible study TOGETHER, yet without the time-crunch!

Also, as for prayer needs, those who would like prayer can post a comment to the blog post and voilĂ , there will be our prayer list! I'm excited! Are you excited? Then, let's get started!

Some ideas for Bible studies could be topical, such as Women of the Bible (which we have been working on in a Bible study I have been attending), Spiritual Gifts (including a spiritual gifts test), or Names of God; expository, where we study specific passages or books of the Bible (such as the book of Romans); a book study, where we read a book together (whether you buy the book or check it out from your local library) and discuss it (i.e., The Case for Christ or The Case for a Creator by Lee Strobel); hymn study, where we look at the stories and words of hymns. Another idea I have long wanted to do is a study of hard Bible questions. I have a long list of questions that I would love answered and I am sure that I am not the only one with tough questions.

Below, I have asked some basic questions to get an idea of how to proceed. After I get some feedback, I will post our first study! Welcome!

By the way, if you would like to receive these blog posts to your email, you can submit your email address to the right. You will still need to log in to submit your question and answer form, but it's a great way to be notified of new posts!









Bible Study 101


















No comments:

Post a Comment